I live in the foothills of Salt Lake City with my husband, 4 beautiful children, and a son that was stillborn in 2006. Our 17 year old son has Type 1 Diabetes and we adore his diabetic alert dog, Iris.
I consider myself an accomplished baker and eager traveler. My inquisitive nature paved the way for my expertise in postpartum care of the whole family as well as a focus in newborn care. With a passion for my profession, I inspire confidence by giving you the facts and respecting your choices. In our postpartum practice, Wasatch Doulas strives to provide evidence-based, practical solutions for your family’s needs.
After working in the medical field for over 17 years, I gained experience in specialties ranging from ophthalmology to orthopedics before discovering my cherished role as a doula in 2012.
I provide professional, honest care to all of my clients. From sleep consulting to overnight care and everything in-between, I recognize that every family is unique and deserves custom-tailored care. Together, we will help you achieve your parenting goals.
Qualifications and certifications include:
– Postpartum, Bereavement, and Birth Doula trained and certified from DONA (expired), ProDoula, and Stillbirthday
– CAPPA advanced training: Working with Multiples
– Newborn Care Specialist trained and certified through Gentle Blessing and NCSA (since 2014)
– Sleep training from Dr. Harvey Karp (Happiest Baby on the Block), Dana Olbeman (Sleep Sense), and Summer Hartman (Summer’s Sleep Secrets)
– Breastfeeding trainings include: 8 hours of lactation training from Julie Johnson, IBCLC; Natural Breastfeeding training from Theresa Nesbitt, MD
– Current CPR certification (20 years continuous)
– Current background check available
– References upon request
– Utah Maternal Mental Health Collaborative member at large
– Served with Share Parents of Utah from 2007-2012
– Served on the Utah Doula Association Board form 2014-2016
– Serving as PTA Treasurer 2016-current
I have been a Doula practicing in the Salt Lake Valley for 10 years. My training included working with my mentor who is a licensed clinical hypnotherapist and one of the busiest doulas in the Salt Lake Valley. During the year that I shadowed with her I attended hundreds of births and sitting in on multiple childbirth class series. I continue to further my education by attending conferences every year and have training in all relaxation and coping techniques that can be useful during childbirth. Including, the use of essential oils, acupressure, music therapy, hydrotherapy, movement, spinning babies, Bradleys, hypno birthing, hypno babies, mindful breathing and more. It is important to me that each mother and her partner feel supported and then dad’s especially feel included and able to participate at the level that they desire. As my husband put it after the birth of our first son and the use of our Doula “the Doula was there to make (Dad) feel like a knight in shining armor, able to help him say all the right thing and make all the right suggestions”
I am also an educator for Birth Learning, my partners and I teach an advanced Doula training. In addition to our Doula services.
I also teach a coping skills class to assist in the postpartum recovery process. This class is targeted for those who might be experiencing prenatal or postpartum depression anxiety or mood disorders.
I also teach hypnosis and mindfulness 101.
This class is designed for professionals or parents who are interested in learning about using relaxation techniques like mindfulness, meditation or hypnosis during childbirth.
Another class that I teach is a religion based childbirth class titled Created to Birth. This class is designed to help mothers connect to the gifts they have been given by their Creator. To help them have a more positive birthing experience as they gain knowledge and information about being designed to birth and build coping skills.